Sunday, June 5, 2011

BBQ Ribs!


So, once again, I'm embarrassed to admit that it's been entirely way too long since my last post.  Ugh.  However, last weekend, my good friend made these delicious BBQ ribs and I thought to myself, self, you can do this too!  You see, in the past, ribs have scared me.  I've had some good ribs in my life time (Gale Street Inn anyone?) and I thought to myself, why bother when you have places that will do the heavy lifting for you?  Well, MK inspired me and gave me the BBQ sauce recipe that she used and told how she made the ribs, and so after making them today, here they are!  Enjoy.

I used the following recipe quite closely, but next time, I'll definitely make some changes to the BBQ sauce, or perhaps I'll try a different sauce recipe.  

Recipe Modifications
This recipe is heavy on the onion flavor, so if you don't like onions, go a bit lighter on the onion.  For instance, don't use 1/2 cup of onion to saute, use a 1/4 of a cup.  In addition, cut the onion powder down to a 1/4 teaspoon, rather than a 1/2 teaspoon or omit it completely, which is what my friend did.  Also, you can use a sweeter onion, like a Vidalia.  

I like my BBQ sauce to be a bit on the sweeter side, so I added extra brown sugar at the end, once the sauce was reduced completely.  Add as much or as little as you like. 

BBQ Ribs

1.  Cut 1 slab of pork ribs in half.  This makes them easier to handle once they are on the grill.

2.  Sprinkle with a small amount of salt and a generous amount of cayenne pepper and black pepper. 

3.  Wrap them in foil packets and bake at 300 F for 2.5 hours.


4.  Here are the ingredients for the BBQ sauce.


5.  Combine all the ingredients in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.  


6.  Once boiling, reduce heat and bring the BBQ sauce to a simmer.  Simmer uncovered for about 1 1/4 hours until it's reduced. 



7.  Place on grill on direct heat and generously brush with BBQ sauce.  Heat until sauce is caramelized, but not burnt, unless you like that!

8.  Enjoy with summer favorites like grilled corn on the cob, sweet tea, baked beans, etc!  

I hope that you enjoy these ribs as much as my family and I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment